At HKU SPACE, we design and offer courses to meet your goals for General English, Business English and English for the Professions. These range from 30 hours to 90 hours and cover a broad spectrum of levels.
Reasons to improve your English at HKU SPACE:
- Polish your interpersonal and career skills
- Learn to communicate ideas more effectively
- Interact confidently with overseas and English speaking people
- Fine-tune your presentations and writing to project better impressions
- Stay up to date by learning about current English use
- Sharpen your competitive edge in today's global workplace
Looking at different works of art, this course investigates the problems of the fundamental human impulse to interpret art as a mode of social or political resistance to power as compared to the apolitical enjoyment of the aesthetics of art as such. It aims to analyze our present postmodern experience of art in which the art consumer is radically divided between possible erotics of art and a violent return to the tradition of interpretation.
This course introduces participants to eight modern American poets as well as several poets of Asian American descent. Participants will read, explicate, and discuss a selection of works by poets such as Wallace Stevens, Hilda Doolittle; Robert Hayden, Elizabeth Bishop, Robert Lowell, Gwendolyn Brooks, Adrienne Rich, and N. Scott Momaday.
Books for reading / discussion * :
(Subject to change)
- A Shimmering Sea: Hong Kong Stories
- The Golden Needle
- Wannabe Backpackers
- A Misted Mirror
- Memoirs of an Ice-Cream Lady
- Searching for Frederick
- Chocolate's Brown Study in the Bag
- Delivering with an impact
- Using body language with effect
- Speaking with persuasiveness
- Using techniques to engage listening audiences
- Practising and critiquing speeches/presentations